At St Gerard’s Catholic Primary & Nursery School, we develop and promote British Values throughout our school and within our curriculum.
“We want every school to promote the basic British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance for those of different faiths and beliefs.” - Lord Nash
A key part of our plan for education is to ensure children become valuable and fully rounded members of society who treat others with respect and leave school fully prepared for life in modern Britain.
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance for those of different faiths and beliefs
To do this our children will develop;
- An understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process
- An understanding that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law
- An acceptance that people having different faiths and beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of discriminatory behaviour
- An understanding of the importance or identifying and combating discrimination
Our mission statement and aims of the school clearly reflect these values, and the whole school strives to uphold them.